The employment situation in Sierra Leone is immensely challenging, especially for young people, with an estimated 70% of youth being underemployed. At the same time, one of the smallest sectors in Sierra Leone, where only few job opportunities exist, is the private business sector. But, this sector is also where the growth potential is probably the largest and the possibilities for start-ups infinite. But the challenges to any start-up are enormous, no matter where they are in the world. Especially in a country where a lack of training opportunities and resources are quite substantial, the environment for young entrepreneurs is vastly challenging.
In this light, Aurora Foundation has created Aurora Impact. A program that is aimed to inspire and empower young entrepreneurs. Within Aurora’s office, there will be a space where entrepreneurs and small companies can have access to excellent facilities, a creative environment, mentors, place to network, and other things that will help them grow and be able to work towards their business ideasand goals.
Aurora Impact will also be providing courses and workshops to the general public in various sectors such as IT, Fashion Design, and others. Additionally, every now and then we will open our doors to great speakers who will give empowerment talks in various fields.
Aurora kick-started the Aurora Impact program with the first IT course in October 2019 and subsequently started looking for entrepreneurs.
Aurora Impact looks for motivated and excited Sierra Leoneans to participate in our intensive four-month business pre-accelerator program, with the first program commencing in February 2020. The program will provide a co-working space, teaching sessions, guest speakers, and tailored mentorship to entrepreneurial needs. The program has no cost to the entrepreneurs, and Aurora does not take fees or equity in the start-ups. All we ask from the entrepreneurs is a dedication to their business idea and the program.
Aurora looks for people who want to:
- Learn with and from others
- Develop entrepreneurial behaviours, skills and attributes
- Learn through action-based tools, complemented by theory
What does Aurora offer?
- Co-working space on weekdays including internet and computer
- Professional training sessions on entrepreneurship and other relevant topics
- A mentor
- A network consisting of different professionals
What are the eligibility criteria?
- To be an entrepreneur with a strong vision
- To be in the early stages of starting your own business
- To have an idea you are super excited about!
- To attend all sessions in person
- To complete and submit the program’s application
How to apply?
Whatsapp to +232 79 72 85 74 to receive the application form!