Pre Accelerator Programme
The employment situation in Sierra Leone is immensely challenging, especially for young people, with an estimated 70% of youth being underemployed. At the same time, one of the smallest sectors in Sierra Leone, where only a few job opportunities exist, is the private business sector. This sector is also where the growth potential is probably the largest and the possibilities for start-ups are infinite. But the challenges to any start-up are enormous, no matter where they are in the world. Especially in a country where a lack of training opportunities and resources are quite substantial, the environment for young entrepreneurs is vastly challenging.
Therefore, Aurora Impact has launched a Pre-Accelerator programme. This four-month long programme aims to empower and mentor entrepreneurs-to-be to start their business. To do so, Aurora facilitates these entrepreneurs with a working space, interactive teaching sessions, a creative environment, mentorship, a place to network, and other things that will help them grow and work towards their business ideas and goals. The programme has no cost for the entrepreneurs, and Aurora does not take fees or equity in the start-ups. All we ask from the entrepreneurs is a dedication to their business idea and the program. Furthermore, established entrepreneurs, both Sierra Leonean as well as international, will be involved in the programme to talk about their entrepreneurial journey and share their life lessons.
The first Cohort started in February 2020. After going through a long list of applicants and interviewing the shortlist, seven start-ups were chosen to be part of the first Cohort.
They should have finished their programme at the end of May, but due to COVID the official programme had to pause and only resumes later in the year.
Aurora looks for people who want to:
- Learn with and from others
- Develop entrepreneurial behaviours, skills and attributes
- Learn through action-based tools, complemented by theory
What does Aurora offer?
- Co-working space on weekdays including internet and computer
- Professional training sessions on entrepreneurship and other relevant topics
- A mentor
- A network consisting of different professionals
What are the eligibility criteria?
- To be an entrepreneur with a strong vision
- To be in the early stages of starting your own business
- To have an idea you are super excited about!
- To attend all sessions in person
- To complete and submit the program’s application